Sunday, November 1, 2009

Eye Opener: Junk In the Brain

Part 1



Definitions:

Antique/Antiquing: shopping activity, woodworking, prank. I found these at wikipedia.

Junk/Junking : Accoring to Urban Dictionary junking means a type of dance. I also looked up junk/junking at freedictionary and it said discarded items, worthless items etc.

Flea market : According to answers.com a flea market is somewhere that people can buy and or sell goods, usually second hand items. Also the origin of its name is in dispute where it originated.

Thrift Shop: According to answers.com thrift shop is a place to buyused articles of clothing or other items and the profits usually go to a charity or an organization.

Upcycling : According to answers.com upcycling is process where old items or recylced items can be reused or made into new items again.

Resale Shop: According to wikipedia resale shops are basically charity shops, where second hand stuff is usually sold for a organization or a charity.



Part 2





1. I think that all these terms do go along with enviromental health. the reasons why I think this is because they are all eniromental aspects. An example is a thrift store that sells second hand clothing. In the winter some people may not be able to afford a warm coat but stores like these can provide that for people. Also from the above list such as antuquing or flea markets, its basically keeping items and products in motion instead of just throwing them out to waste they get "recylced" in a sense and become property or a possesion to someone else who needs it.





2. The goodwill in Duluth is a good local resource for a resale shop, antiquing, junking, thrift shop, and also upcylcing. The contact info is 700 Garfield AvenueDuluth,MN 55802Phone: (218) 722-6351http://www.goodwillduluth.org/.



The Flea Market in Duluth that I found is Annual the 2nd Sunday In August.
Lake Superior College, 2101 Trinity RoadDuluth, MINNESOTA, 55811USA
Weather at Studebaker Drivers Club Swap Meet Flea Market and Classic Car Show
Phone
218.722.8533




3. I dont really do to much of this to be honest. When I was younger though and I still had my cabin I use to get real excited to go to the Flea Market in Annandale, Mn. Otherwise for example this weekend for halloween I went to a thrift store for some stuff. I guess I dont really go to any thrift stores because I dont like shopping much in general and I am just a busy guy in general.



Part 3

My first junk project the I thought was real awesome was this reused Ginger Ale wall decoration. I just think its a really cool design and its something that you dont see everyday.

My second junk project was a thermos bottle lamp shade. I thought this was really cool also because it has a really cool design and also has a real cool vintage look to it.

My third junk project is a project about black and white items. I like this one because it has a good meaning and basically about Michael Jacksons song Black or White and how colors dont matter.







3 comments:

  1. I also looked at the gingerale wall decoration. It is really neat and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like to look for Halloween. My mom always made me go to Flea Markets when I was younger and I never appreciated it. I think now that I am older I would appreciate it more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like going to thrift stores to look for different costumes. I especially am a fan of ragstock :)

    ReplyDelete